Week 1: A Messenger on The Run
Read: Jonah 1:1-17
1. Who was Jonah (v 1)? Take into account the situation in 2 Kings 14:23-25.
2. What did the LORD instruct Jonah to do (v 2)? How does this fit with the idea that the Israelites were the LORD’s chosen people (Exodus 19:5-6a)?
3. What did Jonah do (v 3) and why?
4. Have you ever run away from the LORD? If so why and where did you go?
5. What does the LORD’s pursuit of Jonah (vv 4, 17) tell you about the LORD’s character?
6. Why did Jonah instruct the sailors to throw him overboard (v 12). What did Jonah expect would happen to him?
7. The LORD rescued Jonah by providing a great fish (v 17). How far do you think the LORD would go for you?
Read: Jonah 2:1-10
8. Comment on Jonah’s state of mind in the fish (vv 2-9).
a). Was he sorry that he’d run away?
b). What thoughts does he express regarding his call to go to Nineveh?
9. If you were the LORD, would you have pursued Jonah or would you have given up on him and sent someone else?
Posted: 17th May 2017
© 2017, Brian A Curtis